Thursday, June 23, 2011

Seeking Jesus

I have been reading Mark and John over the past week trying to learn more about how Jesus presented himself to people he met and also to just learn more about the person of Jesus. I've been noticing that even if Jesus had an agenda to get somewhere, he would take time out of his day to heal others, to teach, and to edify. In America especially, we get so caught up in our busy schedules that we forget to be Jesus to people. Jesus was more concerned with saving lives than saving time. We tend to have it wrong and flip the two.
I think if we read the gospels and truly understood what Jesus was telling us, our lives would look totally different. There would probably be a lot less "Christians" and more true disciples. In John 8:31-32, Jesus says, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." We not only should look at Jesus as our Savior, but as our role model and the person who we should strive to emulate. "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it." Mark 8: 34-35. This teaching of Jesus requires obedience, submission, and faithfulness--to make him our role model as well as our Savior. It is not just a call to believe that Jesus is a cool guy. I challenge you to seek out what God's heart is and desire to share that same heart. Look at the life of Jesus and strive to be like him more and more everyday. Be a follower of Christ, not a leader of your own agenda. Take time to save lives and not worry about saving time.

No comments:

Post a Comment