Monday, January 16, 2012

Making Rough Places Smooth

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16


We are blind. Whether we like to admit it or not, that is what we are. We don't know what is going to happen in 5 years, 1 year, 1 day, or 1 minute. God does, however. He promises to the lead the blind, you and I, by ways we have not known. He promises to guide us, turning darkness into light and making rough places smooth. 


Honestly, I hate to think of myself as blind. I like to think that I know what my life is going to look like and think that I have a great plan for myself. It's a pride issue. A big one! I like to think that I can see what will turn darkness into light in my life. I like to think that I have the ability to make rough places smooth in my own strength. Well, if I'm blind to what is going to happen a minute from now, how I can I possibly know how to go about my life in a manner that I think is what God wants for me unless I'm giving over my pride and admitting that I'm blind and need Him to guide me? 


This concept of blindness is nothing new for me. It's been something God has been revealing to me over and over for the past year, yet I'm so quick to forget. I even have that verse as a sticky note on my computer and forget even still. It's not just admitting that I can't see. I can do that. The big thing is saying "I can't see and I need you to lead me, Father." Then I think to myself, "Why is it easy to ask my earthly father for direction, for guidance, for help, yet so often unwilling to ask my Heavenly Father?" It's silly. With an all-knowing, all-loving, all-gracious Father, why would I not want Him to guide my steps and make these rough places smooth? 


Pride. 


C.S. Lewis calls this "the great sin." My Father just wants me to know Him. He wants to give Himself to me. In order to become humble, to be joined closer to the Lord, we must admit that we are proud. That is step number one. What comes after that, I'm sure, is a glorious journey in which the Father is leading His child through this mess of life, making it smooth. Not necessarily easy by any means, but He promises He will not forsake us. Will you admit with me that you're blind and proud? Let's humble ourselves before the Lord and ask Him to guide us in life, depending on Him fully to lead us. God will not let His children out of His hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment