Thursday, March 17, 2011

Walk With The Spirit

Lately, I've been reading Forgotten God by Francis Chan. The whole book is great, but there was one chapter that really stuck out to me. It's titled, "Forget About His Will For Your Life." When I first read that, I was shocked and confused, so I was very excited to read about why he would make such a statement. As I kept reading and meditating on these words, I couldn't agree with him more. Let me explain...

I have wanted to know God's plan for my life for years and spend so much time dwelling on that issue. There are very few people in the Bible who received God's plan for their life or even a 5 year plan ahead of time. It came down to trusting and obeying God. God wants us to respond to His Spirit's leading day by day rather than a year down the road. The fact of the matter is, how we respond daily will greatly impact how we respond a year from now.

"It is easy to use the phrase, 'God's will for my life' as an excuse for inaction or even disobedience. It's much less demanding to think about God's will for your future than to ask Him what He wants you to do in the next ten minutes. It's safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day."--Francis Chan.

After reading this, I realized that by walking with the Spirit daily, that I won't have to worry about what God has in store for me 10 years from now, because I will be so captivated by Him and assured of His promises. "For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord!"--Jeremiah 29:11. I want to be so consumed by the Holy Spirit so that I don't have earthly worries and can just walk with the Lord, spreading the Good News.

"Not only this, you don't need the Holy Spirit. You don't need the Holy Spirit if you are merely seeking to live a semi-moral life and attend church regularly. You can find people of all sorts in many religions doing that quite nicely without Him. You only need the Holy Spirit's guidance and help if you truly want to follow the Way of Jesus Christ. You only need Him if you desire to obey everything He commanded and to teach others to do the same. You only need the Holy Spirit if you have genuinely repented and believe. And you only need the Holy Spirit if you understand that you are called to share in Christ's suffering and death, as well as His resurrection. If you truly believe and have turned away from the way you were headed and joined a different Way of living, then you desperately need the Holy Spirit. You know you cannot live this Way without the Spirit in you."--Francis Chan

So, I challenge you and myself to walk daily with the Spirit. We all need Him desperately! Nothing else matters more than this relationship and this relationship calls for total surrender to the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment